The Law Associate(s) shall be a part of an IIHS Project Team working on land records management and associated e-governance support initiatives involving field-work as required. The Law Associate(s) will work on legal aspects of land administration, including legal, institutional, policy and implementation issues on the specifics of land ownership, use, transfer, registration, titling, informality, varied tenure systems and other related legal-policy issues. This will involve carrying out detailed evidence based and interpretative analysis of legislative, judicial, and institutional issues and outcomes on the ground as a part of the national and state level initiatives.
IIHS is recruiting up to two candidates for the position of Law Associate.
Activities and Tasks
- Be a part of the team working on land governance and management initiatives and carry out detailed secondary and primary data collection and analyses on ongoing initiatives in select states and at the national levels;
- Carry out collection and analyses of relevant laws, policies, regulations and databases/records pertaining to land and its governance and management in study states and locations;
- Assist in assessing and in developing improved laws, policies, regulations and systems for governance and management of land, including their documentation/recording, transactions, litigation, case law and other relevant aspects
- Engage with government officials and other relevant stakeholders in Study states and locations on the above aspects;
- Assist in documentation and preparation of reports and outputs based on analyses of institutional aspects of land law administration as needed;
- Assist in project implementation tasks, including helping setting up and managing site- offices/teams; carrying out and managing field-work; delivering high-quality value-for-money outputs; managing clients; ensuring cost-effectiveness of assignments; and assisting in reviewing and evaluating project performance;
- Translate the experiences from practice into knowledge to contribute to research and teaching, participate in other activities of IIHS, including those related to research and teaching
- Assist with research and academic work on various other aspects of urban law and policy, as relevant to IIHS.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The position is based in Delhi, with frequent travelling to Chandigarh & other locations.
Structure and Reporting
The Law Associate(s) shall report to the Head, Legal and Regulation at IIHS who is the Team Leader of the project. The Team Leader will report for this project to the Chief of Practice at IIHS.
We are looking for bright and enthusiastic lawyers preferably with two-three years of work-experience. The candidate should at least have a Bachelors degree in law and excellent knowledge of law and policy, including aspects related to land law administration and exposure to/experience in land records management. Experience in litigation and commercial transactions in land related aspects will be an advantage.
The candidate shall have good analytical skills and a high degree of proficiency in MS Word and Office applications. The position requires excellent spoken and written English, whereas spoken and reading skills in Hindi or Kannada is preferable. S/he will be enthusiastic, willing to take on tough challenges, enjoy travel, have good inter-personal communication skills, and be comfortable in working in highly inter-disciplinary teams.
Please email an updated resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the above requirements to email@example.com (Subject : Law Associate – Land Project).